The past few weeks have been really fun for me, nature-wise.
- Mike and I have been monitoring a nest in a large oak. Almost every time we stop by we see a Great Horned Owl and her owlet. (See the photo of two baby owls from two years ago.)
- Jenn and I saw four deer in our back yard last week.
- Yesterday, some neighbors and I watched these two otters in the pond at the end of the block. (Thanks to Geoff for the great photo!) The otter on the bank is eating a fish. When I “got too close” they barked at me for several minutes.
- Last week at the office, more than 1,000 swallows were circling and twittering over the property.
- Also, near the office, some of Jenn’s friends saw a rare Florida Eastern Fox Squirrel. I’m going to look for it whenever I’m over there now. It’s twice the size of a grey squirrel and has a white nose.
NOTE: Many of you may know I have a degree in biology. I love God’s creation and enjoy identifying plants and animals. I’ve done a lot of reading and some teaching about Creation (I believe in a literal six-day creation in the recent past). I’ll be posting more regular creation-related content on The Sovereign blog.