Reaching the World through the JESUS Film
“The JESUS Film” has been called the most effective outreach tool of all time and is used globally by more than 500 ministries. After billions of viewings, 1300 language translations, and countless numbers of transformed lives, this movie continues to present Christ to those who are seeking Him… from remote villages to parliaments.
As an example, do you remember the media hype about the supposed end of the world, according to the Mayan calendar, on December 21, 2012? Two months after this uneventful day, an American group of JESUS Film ministry partners traveled to Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula to show “Magdalena” and “The Story of Jesus for Children” in Mayan, the people’s heart language. In one village, almost 260 people watched the film and about 250 villagers indicated they wanted to trust Jesus as Savior! For hundreds of Mayans, instead of the world ending, they experienced a new beginning in Christ. (See “Did you know?” for more information about these adaptations of “The JESUS Film.”)
Closer to Home
In the past 15 years, more than 1.5 million people have moved to the United States from the Middle East and other areas. Do you know any? Do you have a neighbor or a clerk at a favorite store that you’ve chatted with? Visit Reaching the Nations among Us to find DVDs in the heart language of your new friends. Or, download most of the JESUS Film resources and languages right on your smart phone with the JESUS Film Media app.
Why not keep these DVDs on hand to share with internationals in your community? Easter and Christmas are especially good times to do this.
The Gamo People
The following video of a movie premier for the Gamo people of Ethiopia is my favorite story of how God is using this film.
(If you’re ever in Orlando, take time to go on the JESUS Film tour; this video is shown at the conclusion of the tour.)
Thank you for praying for God to continue to touch the hearts of people in every nation of the world, and in your neighborhood, through the JESUS Film Project. Your partnership with us has helped millions to hear and respond to the story of Jesus in the language they know best.
Did you know?
- 2014 marked the 35th anniversary of the first release of “The JESUS Film.” To commemorate this event, the JESUS Film Project released a re-mastered DVD and made it available in retail and online stores. The DVD includes a short documentary of the impact of this Cru ministry.
- 60 million video and audio copies have been distributed since 1979.
- 166 churches were planted in 2012 from film showings.
- The JESUS Film Project offers more than just the original movie:
- “Magdalena: Released from Shame” is a version of the film for women and is available in 106 languages.
- “The Story of Jesus for Children” has been translated into 152 languages.
- The “My Last Day” anime short from the film has been translated into 70 languages.
- Three follow-up discipleship film series were produced for Africa and India.
- You can have much of this material on your mobile phone. Learn about JESUS Film Media.